Wisconsin Breastfeeding Coalition is a proud partner in the state’s Breastfeeding Friendly Child Care initiative!
This program recognizes group and family child care providers across Wisconsin who have demonstrated their support for breastfeeding families. Using the 10 Steps to Breastfeeding Friendly Child Care Centers Resource Kit as a guide, local breastfeeding coalitions, local health agencies, and Child Care Resource & Referral agencies work with providers to learn about breastfeeding and to help them improve their practices, policies, and child care environments to better support nursing families. Facilities undergo assessments, create action plans, and receive technical assistance to make needed improvements. Once they meet the 10 Steps, providers are awarded and recognized as “Breastfeeding Friendly.”
Child care providers can play a critical role in supporting breastfeeding families to help them meet their breastfeeding goals. The majority of mothers return to work or school while their babies are very young, so it’s essential that caregivers are knowledgeable on how to best support both mom and baby when they are separated. By implementing policies and best practices, child care programs can also improve the quality of care they provide.
- 10 Steps to Breastfeeding Friendly Child Care Centers Resource Kit in English and Spanish
- CDC Success Story: Wood County, Wisconsin, Childcare Providers Remove Breastfeeding Barriers
- Frequently Asked Questions
Resources for Providers
- Sample Child Care Policy
- Sample Worksite Policy
- Go NAP SACC Self-Assessment
- Ten Steps handout
- Additional Resources
Online Breastfeeding Training (approved for continuing education hours for Wisconsin child care providers)
Interested in recognizing child care providers in your area of Wisconsin?
- View this train the trainer webinar (Dec.2015) to hear about the process of providing training and technical assistance to your local child care programs.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or to receive additional guidance.
- Contact your local Child Care Resource & Referral (CCRR) agency to discuss your interest and potential capacity to support providers in your area.
- Complete a Partnership Agreement with your CCRR and return it to email@example.com.
- Receive detailed instructions and access to a training toolkit to help you get started.
For any questions related to the Breastfeeding Friendly Child Care initiative, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.